Sunday, January 1, 2006

About Me



Growing up in Seattle.  I learned to swim, walk logs, build, borrow and steal rafts.  With two home-built dinghies, a hydroplane and a run-about I explored the lakes and shorelines of the Greater Seattle area.  When a friend introduced me to white water kayaks in the mid-70's it stuck. 

I have spent the past 15 years exploring British Columbia's outer coast and chasing down Kayak Bill Davidson's many camps while putting together bits and pieces of a route from Olympia to Prince Rupert, BC.  I don't have the desire to do it in one fell swoop so it is a trip here and a trip there.  When complete it will encompass the entire Canadian west coast.  In the meantime, it is a collection of visits and learnings as time allows.  

I recently retired after #OptingOutside as an REI employee for 47 years.  REI enabled me to hike, climb, cycle, ski, hang glide and kayak.  I enjoy writing and I am a member of Washington Water Trails, BC Marine Trails Association, BCMTA Coastal Journey Team and North Sound Sea Kayaking Association.  Currently I paddle a Sterling Grand Illusion.  When I’m not paddling I write what pleases me.

 

I also have another blog that nearly dodges kayaking altogether.  It is a smattering of things that amuse me.  Visit it here: Flashbacks - Rumors, Myths, Legends and Lies





7 comments:

Unknown said...

Jon, are you going to link the Washburne Charlottes piece to Facebook? I think it is remarkable.

Jon said...

I love the Charlottes report, too. I wasn't sure whether to post it at IP-FB site as it's a ways off that route but anyone with an interest in Haida Gwaii should have a chance to read Randy's work.

Unknown said...

I think I will post the link to your blog if that's OK. It will go on my timeline. A lot of my FB buddies are hikers/paddlers/etc.

Jon said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Jon... My REI membership ( #39180 ) goes back to 1964 at the Original REI
store in Seattle....


Bill Thomas - Sunrisekayaker

Jon said...

Bill Thomas!
Wow! That is a low co-op number. In 1964 I was a sophomore at Garfield and barely aware that REI existed. So you shopped above the Green Apple Pie Restaurant on Pike Street?

Unknown said...

I'm in the five digits at REI, also, about 30,000 higher, joined three years later than Bill Thomas. That's just 10,000 added members per year. First crampons, 1968, Jim Whitaker fitted me. I was completely tonguetied with awe.